About the Program
With Additive Manufacturing (AM) scaling from prototyping to production of critical components, the need to verify the competency of machine operators is increasing. In response to the market demand for a standard approach to qualify operators, ASTM International has developed a certification program that applies to personnel operating metal laser powder bed machines.
The operator certification program applies to:
- Any contract that requires compliance to ISO/ASTM 52942 for qualified operators for the metal AM machines and associated equipment.
- Any application standards that calls out operator qualification (OQ) as a requirement.
- Demonstrate your organization’s commitment to quality by ensuring qualified metal AM operators.
Participating Machine OEMs :
— Machine models: EOS M290, EOS M400, and EOS M400-4
— Machine models: DMP Flex 350
— Machine models: SLM 280, SLM 500 and SLM NXG XII 600
Scope of Certification
This certification program is in compliance with:
ISO/ASTM 52942: 2020 Additive manufacturing — Qualiﬁcation principles —Qualifying machine operators of laser metal powder bed fusion machines and equipment
used in aerospace applications.
The operator certification is for a specific machine model (manufacturer and specific machine type) and a powder material group.
Manufacturer – EOS; Model – EOS M290
Powder Material group – Austenitic, martensitic, and precipitation hardening
steels (Material group B as per the standard)
How the Program Works
Location for assessment:
OEM Application Centers or Customer Site
- $2500 per person at OEM Application Centers
- $3000 per person at Customer Site (min. 3 operators)
Certification programs for other machine manufacturer models are available soon. Stay tuned.
- Candidate for certification should have an experience operating machine. S/he should have completed at least six builds prior to applying for certification.
- Certification is valid for two years. In order to maintain certification for two years machine operator will need to operate machine on a regular basis (at least once per six months).
- Candidate for certification would need to provide evidence of visual acuity from a medical practitioner. It should be available for optional audit, ASTM will not take possession of results.
- Near vision acuity (need to be tested every two years)
- Color perception (need to be tested every six years)
Operator Certification Assessment
Operator qualification is assessed through a two-part examination covering the key topics in the standard
Online exam conducted by ASTM
Minimum 80% score
On-machine demonstration of proper setup and operation of PBF-LB machine according to Additive Manufacturing Procedure (AMP) specification
Provide evidence of an eyesight and color perception test by a licensed practitioner