The AM Personnel Certificate Program is designed to meet the large demand for a skilled workforce to support the rapid implementation of AM technology. These certificate programs are aimed to fill the AM knowledge gap by providing world-class training from industry leaders to equip the future AM workforce with highly valued technical skills. Personnel certificate programs comprise of General AM courses and role-based AM courses. General AM courses provide a comprehensive understanding of all the aspects of AM technology while role-based courses help to gain skill sets for specific AM roles such as Designer, Safety Manager, and Quality Engineer.
— AM Essentials for Professionals
— AM Quality Assurance Certificate
— Design for AM Certificate
— Establishing an AM Facility for Critical Part Production Certificate
— AM Cyber Security Certificate
— Intro to Inspection and Quality Assurance for AM
— Advanced Design for AM
— Advanced Training on Metal Powder Bed Fusion
Certificate vs. Certification
- Advance your knowledge in a specific domain through a defined course curriculum.
- Achieve speciﬁed learning outcomes within a deﬁned scope by participating in a learning event or series of events.
- Learning events and the assessments are both developed and administered by the certificate issuer.
- Certificates do not have ongoing maintenance or renewal requirements and cannot be revoked.
- A third-party body grants a time-limited recognition to an individual after verifying that he or she has met established criteria for proﬁciency or competency, usually through an eligibility application and assessment.
- Certifying body veriﬁes education or training and experience obtained elsewhere through an application process and administers a standardized assessment of current proﬁciency or competency.
- Certiﬁcations have ongoing requirements for maintaining proﬁciency/competency and can be revoked for not meeting these ongoing requirements.
The outcome of all the courses offered by ASTM AM CoE is a ‘Certificate’ and doesn’t fall under the purview of Certification.
The certificate pathways are designed to obtain progressive advancement in AM knowledge and skills. ASTM Professional Certificate Course in AM provides a strong foundational knowledge of the process chain starting from AM fundamentals to qualification and certification. Participants take role-based courses that provide a deeper understanding to perform specific roles in AM such AM Safety Engineer, Design Engineer, and Quality Engineer.
Certificate Course Management
The certificate courses offered by ASTM CoE are in compliance with requirements specified in ASTM E2659-18: Standard Practice for Certificate Programs, for developing and administering quality certificate programs.
Advisory Group for AM Certificate Program
An advisory group is constituted to oversee the conduct of the certificate courses.
Role of the Advisory Group
The role of the Advisory Group is to provide technical and operational advice to the management team of ASTM AM CoE’s personnel certificate program. The Advisory Group comprises of subject matter experts and technology leaders in additive manufacturing from Industry, Academia, Government, and Research Institutes.
Advisory Group Responsibilities
The Advisory Group will provide input into the certificate program on:
- Target audience
- Intended learning outcomes
- Instructional design plan
The Advisory Group also performs:
- Review of the course syllabus
- Evaluation of the assessment questions
- Oversee certificate exam and advise on resolving any appeals
Advisory Group members will convene at least twice in a year to advise the certificate program management and provide strategic direction.
Advisory Group Structure
|Cindy Ashforth||Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)|
|Matthew Di Prima||U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)|
|Paul R. Gradl||NASA|
|Shane Collins||Wohlers Associates|
|Paul Bates (cord)||ASTM International|
Management Team for AM Personnel Certificate Program
|Nima Shamsaei||Auburn University|
|Khalid Rafi||ASTM International|
|Mohsen Seifi||ASTM International|